Tuesday, January 23, 2018

An Open Letter

This was written thirty-five years ago—a few months short of our first anniversary.  I copied it over on our marriage announcement in 2004 when gay marriage became possible in Massachusetts. Now for our thirty-fifth anniversary I am once again printing this poem. 



Of a Little Thing

                                 Wherever you go, I shall go
                                 Wherever you live, I shall live
                                 Your people will be my people
                                  And your God will be my God
                                         Ruth 1:16

We sit at the kitchen table
I with my feet on the chair
You with a napkin full of peanuts
Juice glasses filled with spring water
grow tepid while we talk
“How was your day.?”
And you tell me the latest crisis
while peanut shells pile higher

“How was your day?”
I tell you how cold it was on bus duty
and my plans to keep warm
We plan an ideal outfit:
sheep lined earmuffs,
goose down from neck to ankles,
battery operated socks.
I pour more spring water,
take out a half-done Sunday crossword,
move my chair so we both can see

The erasable pen is easier
than the ink scrawl over ink
I go too fast you say
You sometimes guess, I say
I love you, I say

I know, you say

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home