Friday, September 16, 2016

The Gardener

Today is National Avocado Day. I gave up trying to grow an avocado tree fifteen years ago. According to a friend --all one had to do was identify the bottom of the pit (seed), pierce the skin with four toothpicks, and submerge the bottom in a jar of water. The toothpicks rest on the rim of the jar and prevent the top of the avocado from becoming water logged. Then change the water every day to prevent any fungus or mold.

" Use a clear glass so you can see the roots grow."

More directions followed, but my roots never appeared. Maybe I submerged the wrong end in the water, maybe I had a dud pit. My taproot never appeared, leaves never grew, I never reached the point of potting my tree in soil and watching it gain stature.

Maybe I'll try bulbs this year. There is one problem-- you need to know which end faces up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home