Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Life of an Instagram Follower

I confess to being an Instagram busy body, but I don't follow just anyone. I follow family. How else would I know what's going on with my peripatetic family-- save they travel by all manner of vehicles. At the moment most of them are in New Zealand, but when Christmas break ends they will spread out-Israel, London, South Carolina, Michigan and Colorado.

I've followed them on a diving expedition in some far off place. Last year I wandered around an ashram with Peggy. When Jori puts up photos of her culinary magic I instantly become hungry. Everything looks delectable and typical of a dish served in a high end restaurant. She cooks for pleasure and creativity. When she puts up photos of Ryan I am pleased that they are together--

When Phuntsho adds a photo of teens at school she mentions sledding at 6:00am before classes begin-- I wonder how she is acclimating to the weather in Colorado-- quite a difference from Israel. When Elijah posts a photo of his part in the school musical I play a clip of him singing a Beatle's song. When David posts a photo of Noah playing Division 1 soccer I recall how Noah loved Tae Kwon Do and the grace he brought to the movements. I've streamed some of his games. When Zara posts photos of their dog I am reminded of how they all love large dogs. When Samantha posts photos of Michigan football, I am reminded of a library book I donated to the school library when she was born. When David posts photos of working out and writes of training for the Kona triathlon, I recall how he and his friend rode bicycles to Cape Cod with a youth hostel group.

Their lives are spread out in small bites. David writes small poems calling for racial justice and a world rotating around love. The words remind me of the 60s. He posts photos of his tattoos, many of them done in Samoa. Until I saw his Instagram photos I didn't realize how much of his body was tattooed. His body is a canvas. I want to say, " Didn't it hurt."

This is a different world.
Instant messaging.
Millions of photos.
Thousands of internet friends.
And family followers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home