Thursday, July 30, 2015

rivers


walk downtown Maynard and just before you get to the dry cleaners the Assabet River moves beneath a bridge where the vents from the cleaners send smoke puffs over the river unlike the old Camel billboard in Times Square where a two foot pipe hidden behind a man's face sent perfect smoke rings into the night air and when in Harper's Ferry, after you hear about John Brown's raid, walk to the overlook and stare down at the confluence of the Shenandoah and the Potomac where in my tone deaf monotone I sang O Shenandoah, I long to hear you, Away you rolling river but when I find a river with a shallow end and flat rocks perfect for walking or a sitting rock where the river's rush passes through my fingers time holds still and my breath quiets


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home