Sunday, June 14, 2015

Words

I recently discovered Judith Kitchen after reading an interview conducted in October of 2012. She died in November of 2014. I never had the opportunity to attend the Rainier Writing Workshop that she and her husband ran at Pacific Lutheran University. Nor did I ever read her books.

After reading the interview I bought one of her books ,used, but looking new. I started with Distance and Direction because the essays, her main focus, dealt with meditations on place and on memory. And I find myself exploring how the past is in the present and how place lays an indelible mark on a person.

After reading one hundred and three pages I want to read everything she wrote. She's a master of the right word, of metaphors that breathe life into the image, of saying something so powerful that I put down the book to think about her words. She reminds me to value each word, to turn words over and over seeking what's beneath and above, letting them expand and deepen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home