Saturday, June 06, 2015

Songs

Just by happenstance I found the Lincoln Center Memorial Concert commemorating Pete Seeger and Toshi Seeger. I've only listened to half a song by Judy Collins, but it catapulted me back in time. When you walk in the midst of time all you can do is enjoy the moment. When looking backwards that time acquires perspective.

The first time I heard Pete Seeger in person he appeared at Queens College during Academic Freedom Week. I sat on the floor and listened as he sang about freedom, injustice and ticky-tacky boxes. I knew that I didn't want to be a cookie cutter graduate living in a house that looked the same as my neighbor's house.

I knew that I wanted to carry a banner for freedom and justice. it's easy to sit on a gym floor and sing ballads promoting everything that's right and good and universal.

 I did live in houses that resembled my neighbor's home-- and I did march, and I do miss singing  songs of protest, songs that sent a whole generation marching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home