Monday, June 15, 2015

A Riff

What happens now is past the moment it exhales. And yet the interval contains a beginning, middle, and end. I put on a pair of roller skates, tightened the clasps until I felt the push against my bones.

 I raced the wind down
an alleyway picking up
speed while I heard my
heart beat, a drum roll
spelling disaster

Before I hit the gravel I knew the end. The doctor picked out the gravel and washed my face with antiseptic. He couldn't stop himself from reminding me of my foolishness. Didn't he know that I kept step for step with the wind until the end.

In those few seconds
I flew over concrete sidewalks,
past white lace curtains,
and heard Thelonius Monk
playing  "Brilliant Corners"

Notes taking off, dizzy improvisation soaring



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home