Friday, January 16, 2015

How to Pick One

Call it an obsession or call it something spurred on by the winter cold, but we love to see a number of the films nominated for the Oscars. Usually we only select the best Picture nominees. Since we rarely attend the movies save for cold weather, we binge on the movies at this time of year.

In the past week we've seen four movies-- Imitation Game, Whiplash, Selma, and Birdman. The week before we viewed Wild. This is true binge watching. We rated movie theaters as well as the films.

One movie theater had a sign warning patrons of the frigid temperatures in three of their studios. It seems that the boiler needed some repairs. We were in one of two heated theaters and the heat, sporadic at best, alternated between blowing cold air and then warm air. Eventually, I threw my coat over my shoulders and raised the collar to protect one ear from the blast of cold air that spewed out of the vent whenever the heat stopped.

One movie theater had installed new leather chairs, actually I imagine it was ersatz leather. The chairs I believe were not meant for people who might be considered short. My feet hung like two protuberances, hovering in mid-air and unable to reach the ground.

One movie theater had installed air hand driers in the bathrooms. While I didn't expect a blast of hot or even warm air, I didn't anticipate a high velocity burst of intensely cold air on my wet hands. Hands washed in ice cold water.

In one theater the seats fit, the temperature hovered between too hot and too cold, a pleasant balance. But here we had to pay to park.

As for the movies-- all excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home