Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Collecting

I've discovered a new Nordic mystery writer.

Every time I select a mystery to read or even a thriller, I am reminded of my collection of the best mysteries ever written-- according to Howard Haycraft's list. This list was published in 1941.

Why pick an old outdated list ? Many of the authors were unknown to me. My local library stocked few of the books. The books represented a treasure hunt in used book stores.

I don't mean the well-shelved first edition type of bookstore. My forays into this quest took place in dusty dimly lit used book havens. Some of the stores stored many of their books in cartons on the floor.

My checklist, like a birders list, required a willingness to travel to used bookstores in far flung places. Many of the books I found had yellow edged pages and a musty smell.

It is the quest that mattered because I didn't like many of the books -- too dated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home