Thursday, January 08, 2015

Chilly

They predicted record breaking cold and wind chills that cause frostbite on exposed skin in ten minutes. Schools either closed or opened two hours late.

Our weather is tame compared to other areas of the country. Our cold spells must be laughable to diehards from Caribou, Maine where they also get over 100 inches of snow each winter. I know this sounds odd, but I’m rather proud of New England for having one place that is in the top five.

Number four on the list is Jackson, Wyoming. Now I was in Jackson in July and the weather was delightful. I guess I missed one of the 39 days that was sub-zero or the first late August freeze.

Next comes Gunnison, Colorado where you may experience a frost any day of the week. I worked with someone who owned a cabin in the mountains near Gunnison. Their cabin was fitted out for rustic—she and her family carried everything up to the cabin. Once all supplies arrived they didn’t go down until it was time to move.

International Falls. Minnesota is the second coldest city. It’s fondly called The Icebox of the Nation. During an average year a freeze may be  experienced , or endured,197 days.

Barrow, Alasks is the only one of the five places with a smaller population than 5000. It  has 500 hardy souls who call Barrow home. Add that to the cold sixty days when the sun doesn’t shine. Dating back to 1922 there have been five days of temperatures warmer than 75 degrees.

So how can I complain? I can always jump in the car and drive to Caribou to learn about real cold, unremitting cold, cold that wraps its arms around your legs and doesn’t let go.

When I woke up this morning the outdoor thermometer didn’t budge beyond minus ten degrees. As time moved forward the red marker went higher until at 1:00pm it reached 15 degrees. I never want to be in the company of places that pride themselves on adjusting to frigid weather. We can meet in the summer.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home