Friday, December 19, 2014

Post-Composition Book

A lined journal or a composition book, the old type, won't cause any nerve wracking, headache splitting, unflagging angst. Perhaps you smudged a word or when using a fountain pen on cheap paper the ink bled, but neither a catastrophe.

Even when the cover frays or the book warps what is inside maintains its integrity.

This is not so with electronics. The more sophisticated the greater the opportunity for disaster. How many people stare at a screen befuddled by what has happened or is happening?

I don't need a password to open my journal. And no one is in the background sending me messages--" this is a weak password" or " you must include a lower case letter, a capital, and several numerals."

No one tells me that someone else has my screen name-- the name I've been using for years. The nickname I've carried with me since childhood. Who is this other person?

Why this rant?

I received an IPhone 6 as a gift. It was all set up when I left the store. Ready to go. All my apps were in the cloud. All ninety-five apps. But did I really want to download each app. A laborious process. A time waster.

So I did what I had done many times before. I connected the IPhone to my computer and my new item showed along with a two older ITouches.

I then clicked Restore. That is what you are supposed to do, but I must have also done something that gave the computer the incorrect message.

When the clear signal was given and I unhooked the umbilical cord my new IPhone had lost many of its distinctive features. My password no longer worked and I was staring at a new IPhone with old features.

The new photo I had assembled for the opening screen was replaced with a screen cover five years old.

I spent close to an hour speaking to an Apple maven at Apple Care. He assured me that we could solve the problem.

Despite his assurances the problem remained. Even one of my mailboxes was gone.

Tomorrow I'll travel to the Apple Store and plead for a restoration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home