Friday, December 05, 2014

Don't Ignore Warning Signs

When I read about the increased anti-semitism in Europe, when I read about the detestable hate crime committed yesterday in France which resulted in the rape of a young woman, I knew that I didn't want to travel to Europe.

Why is anti-semitism rearing its head? I know many will point to the Israeli and Palestinian situation as an impetus, but I think it's more insidious.

Like racism there are those who harbor hatred which simmers below the surface until there's an opening, a crack and suddenly it becomes permissible to give vent to those feelings. Often the venting is verbal, but with some people it boils over into action.

I'd like to see our schools spend as much time teaching the humanities as science and math. Know your history or repeat it over and over. Let's not ignore any hatred that escalates.

There are too many lemmings out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home