Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Bring on the Challenge

The time of year for selecting a reading challenge approaches at breakneck speed. In previous years I read twenty books by Australian writers, read books with titles from A- Z, read a book about every continent, read random titles I picked off the shelves.

The later challenge gave me instructions on how to find the book for the month. Once I was told to go to the fiction section of the library and find the third shelf of the third aisle- counting from top down- and count the books until I reached the fourteenth book. The fifteenth book was my book for the month.

Some titles were winners, others were unbearable. But a challenge is just that.

The TBR challenge may be appropriate. My bookshelves cave in with the books I've bought, but haven't gotten to yet. In the TBR challenge I write down a list of twelve books that have been on my shelf for at least a year. I post the list and then proceed to chop away at the accumulated stack. After each book I write a review.

Why did I purchase some of the books? Some came from library sales and I thought at the time that I really wanted to read a five hundred page tome on an esoteric subject. Now I can't imagine what drew me to the subject.

Do I really want to commit to twelve books so early in the year? Perhaps I'll look around for some other challenges-- something with an unusual twist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home