Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Making of a Fan

The Red Sox went home and the Yankees went home. Either I picked a team or my season as a fan-- done. Not ready to throw the towel in, I checked the teams still standing.

My criteria: what team hadn't been to the postseason for years? What team didn't have a player traded from the Red Sox this past year? What team came from a state I've never visited.

I selected Kansas City. What a good choice. Perhaps I should read up on Kansas. I do have a friend whose father edited a small town Kansas newspaper. So I do have a connection.

To learn about Kansas I go to her poets. The poets write of loss, of farm land, of the prairie as a sea, of the scent of the harvest, the fear of drought, of a love of the land.


Up to my shoulders
In Indian Grass,
I find that I, too, have taken root
In this prairie,..
-- Roy J. Beckemeyer


I, too, have taken root-- as a fan of the team representing Kansas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home