Monday, September 15, 2014

Mother Knows Best

My mother never left the house without making the bed. I grew up thinking that everyone made the bed shortly after getting up. So I followed her teachings. And you don't just make the bed, but you put some sort of covering on top.

I can count the number of times on one hand that I've left the house without making the bed and that's my whole adult life. "Imagine My Surprise" when I heard  someone on the radio say that people who made their bed every day were 32% happier than those people who didn't make their bed every day.

While I couldn't find any new article attesting to that figure I did locate an article in Psychology Today that also tackled this thorny issue.

In the August 16, 2012 issue, Judy Dutton digs deeper than I did and finds that Hunch.com surveyed 68,000 people about their bed making proclivities. "...71% of bed makers considered themselves happy, while 62% of non-bed-makers admit to being unhappy. "

My mother also believed that you showered before breakfast. I wonder if anyone has done a survey on that question?

Another question, what time of day did the people who made their bed every day actually make their bed? I think that may make a difference.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home