Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Lights Out

It didn't seem likely, but as soon as Dorothy touched the half-empty potato chip bag the lights went out. In fact everything electrical went down. A quick walk outside assured me of a darkened neighborhood rather than a ominous response to our snack. We usually don't indulge in chips, but sometimes chips act as comfort food.

Out came the large candle, two flashlights, the battery operated radio, my IPad, and Kindle. Readiness, just like the Scouts.

Forty-five minutes later the lights returned. We blew out the candle and turned off the radio. We'd watch the Red Sox on television--in the background.

Darkness. In the dark. Dark horse. I rather like the dark. My imagination conjures up myriad scenarios. I wander in the land of shadows. A sliver of light reminds me that we live in the land of dualities where stars appear against a dark backdrop.

I think that stories reside in the gray tones between the two extremes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home