Monday, May 05, 2014

Ordinary Marvels


Poetry magazine sent me a postcard with a quotation and a request to subscribe. I saved the postcard because the words, like a koan, appeared both enigmatic and clear.

The gist of this preamble-- the postcard, although saved, is now lost.

While I don't remember the exact wording I do recall the essence of the words. The poet spoke of everything, whether object or experience, as always new. No matter how often you pick up the coffee mug, or read the newspaper, or travel the same road, or engage in repetitive tasks, they are always new.

If I fail to recognize how every moment, each person, every thing seen or heard, is different and new -- I miss out on the wonder, mystery, and often the inexpressible.

Eugene Peterson wrote, " The only opportunity you will ever have to live by faith is in the circumstances you are provided this very day... "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home