Monday, February 03, 2014

The Intrepid Adventurer

I love looking forward to the Olympics. Where else can I experience so many vicarious thrills. I'll never set foot on a ski jump or race around on skis packing a rifle , or is it a bow? I can't even visualize racing down those hills or skiing backwards while defying the speed of light.

And my figure skating skills never went beyond lacing up skates and going round and round in circles on the Wollman Rink in Central Park.

Every four years I marvel at the sheer bravery of the Olympians who settle themselves into a luge-- feet first, and hurl themselves down a track at speeds occasionally exceeding 150 mph. Hair pin turns and riding half- way up the side of the track simply propel them to push faster and faster. I enjoy sleds on bunny hills.

Perhaps it's age that makes me consider all the risks, but for a number of days I'll put on my helmet, seat belt in, sharpen my winter boots, and exalt in the thrill of daring the universe. And to think that I've avoided the years of practice and the tired muscles and injuries.

I'll hang onto ski poles, strap on skates, bend in two to get into a sled, and partake of the Olympics. You'll recognize me-- short, layers of clothing, a fur lined hat, and wearing a perpetual expression of both fear and delight for the ride.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home