Monday, February 17, 2014

A Landscape Includes the blade of grass...

Often I'll be reading an article or a book and one line or phrase will simply stand out, speak to me. The words will begin a domino effect, one thought somersaulting into another thought.

I read the words " landscape of experience" somewhere and those three words keep echoing in my mind. On one level it reminds me that a landscape is like a collage-- the whole made of myriad parts. Each part separate, but together they form the scene.

Everything that rubs against me adds to my landscape. And it isn't only those things I choose to see, read, hear, partake in, or touch. Everything that happens that I 'm privy to or become a reluctant observer peoples my landscape.

Listening to the news, reading an editorial, watching a child catch snowflakes, hearing about another act of violence, reading a poem, all add to that landscape.

My birthplace in a city, living in a small apartment, sledding down alleyways, playing hopscotch on concrete, losing a pink spaldeen ball in a sewer, living next door to a man who won a car for a limerick he wrote, having a friend who played the violin have the pads of her fingers cut by a man who was declared mentally incompetent, winning a golf key in the scholastic art competition, sitting on a knoll in the summer, sitting on the edge of a kiva listening to the silence, reading a description of the horrific effects of a blaze, becoming lost in a quagmire , listening to voices singing a hymn, seeing hours and hours of visuals depicting disasters, hearing the words-- I love you.

Sitting in the coffee house observing --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home