Tuesday, October 22, 2013

One Step at a Time

It's been several years since I attempted a sestina. I love the challenge.

Internet bloggers delight in creating challenges. Recently one blogger suggested that every day for a month we submit our written work to a journal. The challenge--on day one you submit to a journal with a name beginning with the letter A and so on for twenty-six days. You choose an additional four journals when you complete the alphabet

Another blogger created 365 collages. I'm not certain if she had a large following.

When I mention my personal challenge -- 365 pieces that include the word release I'm greeted with , "Why?"

I believe that I'm on a path. Some roads take dips, others revel in switchbacks, some double back and redo sections.

I am interested in how many hot air balloons are released at Albuquerque's International Balloon Festival.

Or how many prisoners are released from solitary confinement. California houses about 10,000 prisoners in solitary on a given day. That means 22.5 hours in a cell about 7 feet x 11 feet. Hundreds of men have spent ten years in solitary confinement.

From a Mother Jones investigation: In 2011 California "released 78 prisoners" back into the general population. That's 78 out of 10,000.

Another release I follow: how many new books are released in different countries. Now I do wonder if we include all those self- published books.

I've veered from my path.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home