Monday, September 09, 2013

Release Me from Technology

After spending two hours in a convoluted struggle with the Internet, being stymied at every turn, I am requesting an official Luddite card. I recently read about a family intent on rolling back the clock. They'll be living an entire year without computers, cell phones, digital cameras. Remember when you consulted a paper map instead of map quest?

No GPS devices, no email, no Facebook, no apps. Instead of a keyboard a typewriter or even better a pen or pencil. In fact forget the pencil sharpener and use a knife to carve a point.

Years ago I loved wandering the aisles of good stationery stores. Such choices. Pens that you filled instead of dropping in a cartridge, notebooks with good paper instead of paper that bleeds when you use a fountain pen. And if it doesn't bleed the ink shows through the page. You can still find good notebooks-- just not the variety. And all those stores that catered to the pen wielding, paper loving writers--gone.

Do I receive a card, a bumper sticker, a pin when I join the Luddites. Is there an organization? Will I suffer from withdrawal? Tonight I simply want to feel that release, that rush of energy when I go organic.

Too bad one can't talk back to the computer, engage in a conversation, explain how it feels to do something over and over and not get anywhere. All I wanted-- an explanation.

I must take a stand and refuse to allow a program to bring me to my knees.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home