Sunday, August 11, 2013

Enticement

Something for free is so alluring. I, along with thousands of others, was offered 101 free photo prints. This offer sent me to my digital collection of photos. First, I needed to spend time discarding photos that I'd never use.

Culling through months of photos I selected 89 pictures. Did I want or need 89 photos? No, but even that wasn't 101 and I was offered all those prints for free.

How many photos did I want of a frog hanging out in a pond? Could I create greeting cards of some of the photos?

Perhaps the close-up of bees circling a pink flower or the ant walking on a lily bud or the caterpillar feasting on a cherry tree leaf transformed into smart cards illustrates creativity. Of course there's the extreme close-up of a grasshopper.

After an hour of culling through my last six months of photos and after the 89 were targeted, I moved them to the desktop, put them in a folder, and opened up the site offering me my free prints.

At first all went well, but then I discarded photos before the site had uploaded my photos. Since I'm the only one allowed to enter my trash bin the upload ran into a glitch.

No problem. I went into the trash and removed the photos. But I didn't really know what had been uploaded before I trashed photos. So I simply downloaded and downloaded dozens of photos.

No problem. I'd delete doubles. At this point I was working against the clock. Everything had to be completed by midnight or like Cinderella the world changes-- my free prints then cost ten cents apiece.

As I began to delete, everything slowed up until I deleted one too many photos and I was greeted by a message -- error. The type of error that refuses to relinquish its primacy. No matter what I did the error message persisted. I envisioned some sort of intelligence telling me that I could not bully my way beyond that injunction.

Finally I reached that place where I needed to release my desire for 101 free photo prints. What did I learn? To quote E.M. Forster, Unless we remember, we cannot understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home