Monday, August 12, 2013

Endless


poems are polysemous
-- Arthur Sze
" multiple meanings"




Words wear nuances
changing meanings,
and intentions. The marrow
of a phrase, a sentence,
even a single syllable word
shifts, balancing spirit
with a stony insistence
on a literal stance.

To release the intent
of what is written
requires a willingness
to dig into the structure,
taste the words, let the
sounds penetrate, rubbing
away the easy definitions.

When my father was dying
we never spoke the truth
even when it hung in the air.
When I kissed him goodbye
he called me back into the room, held
my hand and again said goodbye.
No other words, but their
meaning altered.
Without adding more words,
or changing inflections
I heard the finality.

It's the way of words



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home