Thursday, July 25, 2013

Borscht and Beets

Ever have one of those days when you wear one blue sock and one black sock? The discovery happens hours after leaving the house.

Just washed socks no longer have mates even though you know a pair went into the wash together.

You're late for an appointment because your watch just stopped and gave no prior indication of a malfunction or a deficient battery.

You brought a book to read when waiting at the airport and realized you finished the book two days ago. The book you wanted you left in the living room. Now you'll wait two weeks until the murderer is caught.

Today I experienced one of those days. It started with rain I didn't expect and everything after that seemed to be one step to the right of reality.

But the beets I photographed looked delectable so that made up for the "slant" of the other parts of the day. Spending forty minutes manipulating beets for a photo op, setting up my tripod, thinking of light and shadows, meandering through thoughts of my grandmother's borscht released me from the ordinary day.

I settled into a creative fantasy where I photographed rutabagas nestled next to beets. I visualized capturing the dark purple band at the crown of the rutabaga against an earthy red beet.

And with those thoughts I realized soon it will be tomorrow--a chance to get it right.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home