Monday, June 10, 2013

Unasked Questions

Because I had my camera with me and a heron preened for all photographers I snapped forty-five photos-- full body, profile, closed and open mouth.

While looking at my photos, prior to winnowing down, I thought of photo opportunities missed.

When driving to Yosemite from San Francisco we chose a road that took us past small towns. The heat in the low areas approached oppressive and we hadn't passed any place to stop where we might find something cold. Our water was cold, but we hoped for an ice cream.

Then, almost wished into existence, a run down store. We stopped, looked about, asked about ice cream, and then opted to buy a package of cookies.

On the way back to the car I spotted a woman seated on the steps to the store. She hunched over her knees intent on watching her cigarette smoke rise. Occasionally she released a well formed smoke ring.

A halter top and short shorts allowed everyone to view her tattoos-- which covered all the exposed parts of her body. Gaudy and brightly colored flowers, text, and a serpent. That's all I could see without staring.

I wanted to take a photo, but my camera wasn't handy and my partner thought that the woman might not appreciate my intrusion into her reverie.

I missed taking a color photograph-- with her looking down at her toes or a black and white photo that captured the evocative scene.

Sometimes when I see a photography exhibit I'll spot a photo that reminds me of that scene. So many unanswered questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home