Friday, June 07, 2013

A Scrap of Paper

I found a scrap of paper covered with short one sentence notes. It's strange to find snippets -- words disconnected to specifics.

Open the window..
Did I write that on a hot day or the day I cooked a pungent dish? And why would I need a reminder?


Wipe the dust from your shoes.
Wouldn't you think that I meant dirt? Yet I did write dust. What kind of dust? I don't recall any really dust laden places. I'm trying to think and the only thing I can think of is walking through a construction site looking for abandoned, discarded, treasures to use for a free form sculpture.


Once I constructed a lopsided sculpture from found scraps. A Clorox bottle formed the midsection, a dented cola can became a neck. I constructed the head out of bottle caps and an abandoned lamp. Two bent spoons worked as ears and a bottle opener became a mouth. I guess I ran out of found items because I never attached any arms or legs. My dog recognized the creature as a potential rival and throttled the yet unnamed beast until it toppled over.

To stand as a witness.

Had I taken a stand on an important issue? If so what issue? Or am I imploring myself to refuse to straddle a fence? But maybe it doesn't mean that at all --because I use the word witness. To stand as such is stronger than standing as a spectator . One is passive and the other active.


Maybe I meant that standing as a witness is freeing. It's a release from indecision, a release from wondering how to react.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home