Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Refashioning Reality

I read a blog piece suggesting that writers wear their Observer persona as a way of engaging with the world. The observer interacts, but is alert to the nuances in the conversation and the subtle variations between people-- or potential characters.

When I actively assume the role of Observer the play between people becomes pronounced, even nature startles me. Today I observed a woman walking from her car to the drug store. I was rather close behind her. She never turned around, but within a few minutes she switched her pocketbook from its position by her side to one under her arm.

I slowed my pace as she picked up her pace. When she arrived at the entrance to the shop she turned around and looked at me. My attire-- cords, jacket and a book bag. She smiled. I expect that she had played out a scenario while she walked and then realized the absurdity of the drama.

But the short vignette made me think of how we create stories out of the slimmest of threads. I'm presently reading a bizarre and frightening mystery series and suddenly I'm aware of men wearing black clothes.

My Observer persona collects data which at a later date may be refashioned and released as a story.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home