Sunday, December 02, 2012

Winning Big

How do we justify a lottery ticket for half a billion dollars?

Who spends more money, proportionally speaking, on tickets?

Lottery buying produces big winners who need help with how to spread their money about for the greatest return.

Winners spawn new employment opportunities—how do you deal with sudden wealth? Pundits will teach new winners where and how to spread their money?

You hear the big winners say, "I'm the same person today as I was yesterday." Can that really be true?

Lottery tickets, scratch tickets, the numbers game are all selling a fantasy.

Maybe I'm a curmudgeon because even when I occasionally purchased a dollar scratch ticket I rarely won and if I did it was for two dollars. Once I won forty dollars, which made me think that winning big was possible. After several months of a ticket every other week I realized that even a forty dollar payoff hooked me.

Before the government hooked onto the lottery and made it a legit way to gamble the mob ran numbers. Bookies collected the money. When the government got into the act convenience store owners became the modern day bookies.

According to some historians of games of chance you had better odds in the numbers racket then you do in the modern day lottery.And those winners didn't pay tax.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I just won thirteen 12 inch blocks in a block lotto and I feel lucky!

I don't usually buy lottery tickets but I do put them in the grown kids' stockings every year. It's a holiday tradition.

December 05, 2012  
Blogger Cathy said...

I should have added that those blocks I won were quilt blocks. They will probably be made into a donation quilt. So, more than one person is a winner.

December 05, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home