Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Resting in a Title

Procrastination. Waiting until the last moment and then feeling harried. But some waiting allows time for ideas, words, opinions to gain some substance-- perhaps to morph into something different.

I have something on my plate-- a response to one of two verses of scripture. Two, so I can choose one for a church lenten booklet. It's not my usual piece of writing. It's uncomfortable for me to respond to such a specific prompt.

Suppose I'm way off the mark. Suppose my initial words chafe people. Suppose I can't find any words that relate, that speak to what I'm reading. And just suppose I totally lose the message of what I read, interpret it in a manner that's antithetical to the beliefs of the group? Suppose I find myself way out on an island that's broken away from the mainland?

Just when I twisted myself into a static position I found a book. Not a book of Lenten meditations, but a book with a title that brought me wiggle room.

Generous Orthodoxy : WHY I AM A missional + evangelical + post/ protestant + liberal conservative + mystical/ poetic + bibical + charismatic/contemplative + fundamentalist/ calvinist + anabaptist/Anglican + methodist + catholic + green + incarnational+ depressed-yet-hopeful + emergent+ unfinished CHRISTIAN
by Brian McLaren

I find myself within that title and it frees me up to write whatever and however the Spirit moves me.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home