Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Don't Sweat the Purchases

An article in today's paper dealt with buying gifts for the "hard to buy for". In other words some folks don't need anything because they have what they need and if they do find themselves in the situation where they need or want something they purchase whatever it is that their heart desires. Or perhaps they are just fussy.

So why bother.

This must be why gift cards are so popular.

It used to be acceptable to give a gift to your teacher, but wiser heads said that isn't necessary and it puts an unfair burden on some parents.

When I was putting up Christmas ornaments I loved recalling the stories behind the handmade ornaments I received from youngsters. One of my favorites was a small train because I once had said that I thought it would be exciting to ride some of the famous rail lines. Imagine traveling on the Orient Express.

There were the homemade cookies, " I helped my mom make these and I knew you liked Milky Way bars so we put some bits of the bar in the cookie."

In one of the first classes I taught someone made me a purple felt eyeglass case because I always carried a purple pen. I thought that was a thoughtful gift.

How about buying a gift for someone who really needs something and sending a card to that hard to buy for or hard to please person and telling them what was purchased in their name.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home