Tuesday, December 25, 2012

An Early Start

My favorite meal is breakfast. Even the plain cereal version of breakfast has an appeal. Growing up I ate a bowl of Rice Krispies every morning.As soon as the milk hit the cereal I listened for the Pop and Crackle.

My father always had a three minute egg every morning. He let me dip my toasted Wonder Bread into the egg for one delectable taste.

I must admit to a more sophisticated taste now, but I still start off weekday meals with a bowl of cereal-- just not the sweet sugar coated variety. I traded in my Rice Krispies for an oat cereal.

But it's breakfast out that I love. For the past twenty years Christmas Day breakfast has been an important part of our celebration. For years that meant egg, cheese and sausage souffle, breads, juices, egg nog, a 500 piece puzzle, some floor games followed by a long walk. That eventually morphed into breakfast out with friends.

When our local inn decided not to offer breakfast on Christmas Day because they were too busy with lunch and dinner we opted to drive down to Cambridge.

the people we invite to share our breakfast out are part of the fun.These are usually people whose family lives far away.

We still take a walk after the repast.

On those occasions my orders are blatantly decadent--omelets with the works, thick slabs of Cranberry French toast,homemade breads,and endless cups of decaf.

We sat, five of us, for two and a half hours --and no dishes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home