Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Small Matter of Organization

Every December I attempt to organize, discard what isn't needed, pull together single pieces of paper in one place, throw out scraps , odds and ends, and those items I haven't used in years.

There's a large brown envelope filled with papers to scan-- stories, poems, essays, and an occasional recipe. Once I scan them I can store them in one of my many files on my computer.

I like to start fresh on January 1st. It's a faulty presumption because we pull along all the past years into the new year-- just better organized. The organization and belief in everything has a place and a place for everything falls apart quickly.

Life isn't that way. Not all bits and pieces fit neatly into small drawers, shelves, zip lock bags or ditty bags. Life has a way of seeping out of containers, moving beyond boundaries and draping itself over the furniture. It has a way of interrupting plans and arriving at unexpected times.

So why do I make this aborted attempt to organize space, to tackle the paper jam, to make room on my desk? Because I need to make room for the unexpected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home