Friday, November 16, 2012

Catalogues

If it helps the post office and if it pushes against their mounting fiscal crisis I'll not rant regarding unwanted catalogues.

Who invents some of the worthless items in these paper wasting vehicles for persuading people to buy what isn't needed?

Years ago a friend on a long plane ride picked up the airline magazine that is often stuffed into a pouch in the back of each seat. I assume that the tedium of the ride caused her to pick out some gifts for friends.

She knew I played golf and carried two containers of ice water which nearly always melted. Given that information she read of a plastic container shaped like a golf club and just as long, but quite a bit fatter. I can envision the delight she experienced when she read that this hollow plastic golf club held 64 ounces of liquid.

The container kept liquids cold. I don't recall whether a straw came with the apparatus or whether the golfer removed the club from her bag and tipped it up to drink.

I do recall when this marvel arrived and only after reading pages of testimonials and a scant paragraph of instructions did I realize what my present represented—a white elephant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home