Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Love of Committees

It's a genetic thing. It's built right into your DNA. Some people love meetings while others deplore meetings. I belong to the second group. Even when the ubiquitous cookies, coffee and doughnut filled table appears my instinct is to eat and run.

A friend of mine ran for and served on the school committee for six years.

She loves meetings—the give and take and the inevitable pitfalls. Bravo to all those souls who serve on committees. I always expect that they started in grade school and just continue on and on...

One shot meetings are palatable, but the ones that meet over long periods of time remind me of horses turned into camels.That's not my line. A friend who shared my feelings told me of a meeting that managed to do just that. A simple issue became complex when it was parsed and new task forces created to look at the parsed issues.

Of course what would we do without our meetings and task forces and agendas?

Just have horses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home