Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Success!



By the end of yesterday I accepted my inability to corral an insect for a photo shoot. After all, I mused, not everyone spots a crawling creature. Usually I dislike insects, especially those that invade my indoor space.

Before breakfast, before I was totally awake,  I went outside and walked around-- scanning the ground for any movement.  Perhaps a worm would do. Is this the time for caterpillars ? Nothing. I did spot several new mushrooms. 

Just as I got out of the shower my partner walked into the bathroom holding a tied Baggie.

" I found an insect." Now that's love when you know what pleases your beloved.

My bug jar, a converted Mason jar, held the " bug" until I set up my tripod, took out two macro lenses, placed a white board on the deck railing. This time the insect didn't have wings and couldn't fly away.

After unscrewing the lid of the jar I tipped the bug out onto the white board. At first stunned with freedom he stood stock still. I knew that I didn't have too much time to dither about before he, too, left me. I had set a high shutter speed and focused in on the bug. 

This time I avoided his eyes and manually focused. He kept moving his front legs-- nervously. I expect, given his size of half an  inch when all stretched out, I'd  experience some anxiety with a huge 100 mm lens inches away from my head.

One chance. No time to set a self timer. Now or never.

The shutter clicked down and he walked out of my view, crossed the white board onto the railing and picked up speed.

Only when I downloaded the photo did I notice his eye.













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home