Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Looking

The assignment in my macro class-- photograph an insect. ...Preferably alive, but dead is fine. I'm not suggesting you hurt an insect.

Actually large animals aren't out of the question; however, taking a macro of a large animal means honing in on an eye,nose, toenail. We have two roaming neighborhood cats, but I expect that neither one stays still long enough to wait for me to manually focus my lens.

I started with the basement thinking that a spider might be knitting away in a corner-- bare corners.

From there I headed to the loft knowing that occasionally a wasp falls in and lands on the rug. Why they die on the rug isn't known. Maybe the exertion of squeezing through a tiny slit takes its toll.

No wasp, but a large moth hanging on the wall. I ran downstairs to get a plastic cup. The moth unaware of my thoughts remained on the wall--probably planning his day. It only took a few seconds to place the cup over the moth, slide a paper beneath the cup, turn it over and head downstairs.

My tripod and camera all set for the photo shoot--

I set the plastic cup down and watched the moth fly about. It moved close to the side of the see through cup and stared out, -legs splayed out and wings barely spread.I looked through my camera's viewfinder. My macro lens enlarged the moth's head and we stared at each other.

A face off.

One photo.

He fell to the ground and I took the cup away. Perhaps he needed more air or he figured that playing posse would work. It only took a few seconds before he madly fluttered his wings and set off.

Tomorrow I'll look for a slow moving worm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home