Friday, August 31, 2012

Security!

My friend Jan sent me an email with a connecting link to a Bird app on sale this weekend. Instead of paying $14.99 it was mine for 99 cents.

Then began a saga. Last week my ITouch went black and that forced me to visit the Apple store. 
" Your hardware," said the blond, " won't do what it's supposed to do. It's gone."

I must have looked shocked when she explained that a new battery wouldn't do anything to rectify the problem.

"But," she said, " I can sell you another ITouch, same model, for $79.00."

So I purchased a new old ITouch. Went home and spent hours setting it up with my blogs, restoring my 110 apps (I have six dictionaries ), ect.

Now when Jan sent the Bird App connection , I was delighted. So I clicked it and immediately realized that it was a fantastic deal. Then the  fun began. I tapped in my Apple ID twice and waited. After a spate of time  I received a note indicating that this was a new device and before I would be allowed to spend.99 I'd have to answer two security questions.

No problem. I always select similar questions, my favorite team, favorite teacher, first dog's name. 

But this time I was presented with two questions I don't believe I ever selected. So I attempted to think of what answer I'd give to My First Job. Would it be working at Lord & Taylor's as a stock girl or making loop pot holders and selling them to my grandmother's friends?  Maybe I wrote down my first experience, at the age of eleven, when I started my own enamel jewelry business. 

The next question: Where did I enjoy working? I don't think I liked being in a room full of hanging  garments? Did I list a location, a place, a particular job? What was I thinking when I answered a question I don't believe I ever selected.

Gandalf was my dog's name, but no one asked that question.

When my answers were found unacceptable I received a message written in red ink--until these questions are answered you are locked out of any purchases.

I called up Apple Support and was given a seven step way of contacting ITunes, but first the rep explained that I was no longer under warranty. 

"ITunes," she laboriously explained "only handles problems via email."

Since I'm not at home and since the wireless here is weak and often simply ignores desperate pleas it took me a long time to connect. 

After too much time a email form appeared and I explained my dilemma, a shorter version, and sent it out into the void. They have promised to answer within 48 hours.

 I explained that the bird deal only lasted until the end of the Labor Day weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home