Saturday, January 14, 2012

"This Stadium is One Noisy Place"

This is the weekend when anyone with a penchant for football can spend hours rooting for their team or rooting for a team to lose. I must admit that living in New England for a number of years has caused me to relinquish my connection to New York teams and to embrace New England teams. Thus I am a New England Patriots fan.

What is it about geography and place that causes one to feel an infinity with the local team and turn away from the team of their youth? My father was a baseball fan and rarely talked about football. It was easy to love baseball-- we lived several subway stops away from Yankee Stadium and bleacher tickets were easily accessible. For years I thought that pin stripes were the pinnacle of sports.

Football, that odd game that often seems like it should be played in a Roman coliseum, didn't enter my consciousness until I moved to Maryland. I lived in a neighborhood of football conscious people-- many from other areas of the country. Two neighbors rooted for Green Bay, many folks were deeply attached to college teams-- especially Ole' Miss and Alabama. So, along with being introduced to neighborhood Bible Studies,my football education began.

But it was only when I became ensconced in New England that I bought a decal and watched games with regional pride.

Too bad Tim Teebow and the Denver Broncos weren't playing against a different opponent because I'd have rooted the Broncos.

Now it's on to the next opponent. Perhaps I'll get a chance to go to another Super Bowl party ( I know I'm assuming they'll win the next game). Then it will be the " living room is one noisy room."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home