Saturday, January 07, 2012

A Blessing to Read

I usually don't suggest books on this blog, but on this day and at this time I am changing my stripes.

Breathing Space A Spiritual Journey in the South Bronx By Heidi B. Neumark.

The author was a Lutheran pastor of a church on East 156th Street. Transfiguration Lutheran Church is right in the midst of the South Bronx --one of the poorest urban areas, infested with rats and violence-- yet in that place transformation and life happens.

Neumark's stories are often heartbreaking. More children suffer from asthma then anywhere else in the city, more garbage disposal sites situated in the area, more homes that don't meet any standards. Yet it is here that enormous changes happen.

I grew up in the Bronx, not the South Bronx -- but the Bronx is in my soul.

So many times while reading my eyes welled up and other times I wanted to raise my hands and shout Hallelujah.

Hallelujah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home