Monday, January 23, 2012

An Apron

Is a smock the same as an apron? My art instructor asked us to bring an apron to the next art class. She's British.

According to the free dictionary a smock is defined as:

1. (Clothing & Fashion) any loose protective garment, worn by artists, laboratory technicians, etc.
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's loose blouse-like garment, reaching to below the waist, worn over slacks, etc.
3. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called smock frock a loose protective overgarment decorated with smocking, worn formerly esp by farm workers
4. (Clothing & Fashion) Archaic a woman's loose undergarment, worn from the 16th to the 18th centuries


Their definition of an apron:
a. A garment, usually fastened in the back, worn over all or part of the front of the body to protect clothing.
b. Something, such as a protective shield for a machine, that resembles this garment in appearance or function.


There are a number of other definitions, but none fit for my purposes.

I must admit that when someone says apron, I think of a woman in the kitchen preparing food. I don't own an apron. Does this say something about my ability to stay clean or about my lack of cooking prowess?

There's a web site called Aprons and Smocks where they go into quite a bit of detail outlining the differences between smocks and aprons. They also set the record straight regarding cobbler's aprons.

Because aprons and smocks are two different animals their site provides the causal reader with a taxonomy of what to seek when selecting one or the other.

If pockets mean a lot to you then note that smocks "Typically have 3 pockets – two on the bottom and one in the upper left side of the garment, whereas aprons usually have 2 pockets on the bottom.

I also discovered that smocks are even worn by Welsh shepherds and soldiers overseas.

To utterly confuse me they write,
Cobbler Aprons or Artist’s Smock

Cobbler aprons are sleeveless and slip over your head. In common usage, they’re often called smocks although technically they are aprons.

Now how is that helpful. I've always thought of aprons as rather prissy coverings decorated with flowers or kitchen graffiti—spoons, bowls, pithy food sayings.

Then to utterly confuse the issue you could wear a pinny —"a decorative garment worn by both girls and women as a protective apron."

3 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

I think aprons were very practical when we didn't have washing machines or our clothes were of linen or difficult material. I never wore an apron because if my clothes become dirty, I wash them, it's the same work as washing an apron. But there are still some women wearing them. I would feel like a grandma, although I am a grandma, lol !

January 25, 2012  
Blogger Cathy said...

I don't wear aprons but collect aprons with chicken scratch on them. How about that! I've used vintage aprons as a window valance also. When my grandchildren paint they wear an old grandpa t-shirt or go apronless/smockless/shirtless and paint themselves!

So, what will you take to class???
- Cathy L

January 26, 2012  
Blogger Linda said...

I found an old men's shirt that has seen better days. It fits me-- sleeves rolled up, down below my thighs. I love the casual look.

Linda

January 26, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home