Friday, November 11, 2011

Tick-Tock

Each day more daylight disappears, carved away until the dark assumes so much time. Perhaps I'm more aware of the dark because it means adapting to another schedule. Keeping pace with the clock can be jarring.

Once I lived in a house also occupied by a grandfather's clock that ponderously intoned the hour with a punctual regularity. I waited for a chance to grab hold of the weights and alter its rhythm, but it seemed foolish to argue with an inanimate object.

Years ago I visited a clock museum where every hour dozens of large and small clocks shouted out the hour with bells, chimes, short melodies.

"Suppose " I asked "one clock was twenty seconds off."

"Oh," said the gentleman whose job it was to maintain the clocks, " I'd feel that I failed if I couldn't get them all together."

My watch keeps approximate time, usually within a minute or two. That way I think I'm not being controlled by time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home