Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Coffee Fix

An unexpected October snow storm and our entire town lost power at 4:00 a.m. When I Iooked outside this morning I viewed a tableau of trees either bent low bowing to the ground or supine on the earth. C shaped evergreen branches swung back and forth keeping time with the wind.

We set out to find a warm place and a cup of coffee. The Starbucks ten minutes away was open. While I searched for a parking place my partner went inside to get on line and secure a table for the long stay.

Over forty people snaked around a display of coffee, cups manufactured in China, tables occupied by people on computers or reading, past a counter of accouterments coffee afficiandos add to their brew, and seven stacked boxes of dispenser napkins, paper cups, and straws.

The word spreads-- " There's no more food."

I'm content. We have a table. I'm connected and my new book waits-- Indigo: In Search of the Color that Seduced the World by Catherine McKiinley.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jan said...

Coffee and a book—Starbucks has a generator? My mind just went there after you mentioned losing power, but I was otherwise engrossed in your tale.

October 30, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home