Tuesday, September 06, 2011

A Return to Cataloging



Recently OED sent out an update of new words. The word that caught my eye--helluo librorom. Even before knowing anything more,  I loved the way the syllables rolled off my tongue. 

Someone who is a helluo librorom is a glutton for books, an insatiable reader. 

As of July 2009 Great Britain's most prolific reader was  ninety-one year old Louise Brown. She has borrowed 25,000 library books and at that time read up to a dozen books a week. Her favorite genre: historical fiction.

Years ago I decided to catalog all my books and add a comment for each book. I bought colored index cards and designated particular colors for each genre. Half way through an extensive trove of mysteries I found myself re-reading a few.  How could I miss another read of  Dorothy Sayers Nine Tailors? I never did finish the cataloguing -- bogging down when I started to go thorough poetry books. For every card I wrote the title and then read several poems. 

Several years after my aborted attempt I threw out the half completed stack.

Now I've discovered Library Thing--you can catalog your books or simply list new books as you read each book. I think I'll simply list books as I read them. I don't want to write reviews, make friends, or search for similar books. But they make everything sound so alluring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home