Thursday, September 01, 2011

Mrs. Rueben's Empty Lot



Mrs. Rueben's Empty Lot

My grandmother's friend Mrs. Rueben owned a store of sundries. " She sells," said my father, " a little bit of everything--enamel pots, pot holders, dish towels, wood spoons, wood bowls and razzle-dazzle."

Before I started kindergarten my grandmother Yette often took me to visit Mrs. Rueben. I recall her store because it abutted an empty lot. If you grow up in the city, empty lots are places of imaginary universes.

**********


Mrs.Rueben gave me a large metal spoon and a yellow striped mixing bowl. I sat on an old dish towel because my grandmother didn't want to bring me home with embedded dirt. 

The empty lot was my kitchen where I created mudcakes.Mrs. Rueben helped  by trudging out with a bucket of water. 

The lot provided popsicle sticks for birthday candles and when I found cigarette  butts they became flowers. 

The two friends sat in the store and drank glasses of brewed tea. I was always in their view.

My grandmother often walked outside and asked, " So what kind of cake is that one?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home