Monday, October 27, 2008

The Plot Thickens



What is it I want to accomplish? Perhaps the use of the word accomplish is too broad, too self-defining.

I'm immersed in photography. I'm looking through the viewfinder and seeking something other than what is in front of me. Is there an angle– perhaps innovative? If I only focus on one aspect will I find an artful way of looking at a brick?

Is there something amiss--I don't want to drag along extra weight? I don't want to carry a lens for every possibility, a tripod for those slow exposures. I want my camera to float in my hands.

That's how I feel about art. I've reduced my materials to pen and ink and whatever fits into a small zippered pouch. I do own a miniature watercolor set, but that means that I must take a container for water and some paper to wipe off brushes. Simplicity goes out the window.

There's my desktop computer which now reminds me of a behemoth resting on my desk waiting for the on button. My laptop remains in the closet and comes out when I'm sitting in my blue Lazy Boy with my maple kidney shaped lap desk. Taking the laptop with me when I go to a coffee shop is burdensome. It has a shoulder bag case with pockets for its electric umbilical cord. That's in case I run out of battery power. Since the battery is old it tends to wind itself down to the warning stage fairly quickly. Then there's the seeking out of an outlet. Often another laptop toting soul is plugged into the only accessible outlet.

So I've gone small and truly portable. I own a Palm TX and a Bluetooth keyboard, which works flawlessly. A 2G media card, a dictionary on a media card, Documents on the Go--all packed into a drawstring black ZING bag. And I'm truly portable and lightweight.

Did I mention the fact that I have piles of books and want to take out more? There's so many to read.

I've wanted to write a book using the graphic novel approach and purchased some water color pencils, but haven't gotten around to the first page because I was sidetracked by another project.

That's the rub. Being sidetracked. Every time an idea floats across my landscape I'm enraptured. Captured by the novel possibility.

Perhaps I'll start the art project later after I finish reading a William Gay novel and the new graphic novel based on real events after 9/11.

And then there's the medieval mystery series to go with the medieval Judaism I'm studying as part of a course.

Perhaps I'll start the graphic novel about my wanderings. It will be a peripatetic journey that doesn't need to know a destination. It will snake its way through my landscape--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home