Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Keeping a Supple Mind





Because I’ve read about keeping your brain supple I’m studying Biblical Hebrew. Actually even before listening to the Channel Two television special about the brain, I began my language pursuit. This isn’t the first time I’ve tackled Hebrew, but this my first time relying on two books, a CD, an Ipod and an answer book for the exercises. I am methodical, go slowly, have flash cards and even review the flash cards while on the treadmill. Avoiding the treadmill I’ve walked on ice covered streets, in driving sleet, and bracing winds. If too many days pass I pick up my book and continue or trudge on afraid that too big a gap will send me plummeting backwards faster that Alice fell down the hole.

Someone asked if I am also learning to write in Hebrew, “No,” I answered. After listening to a long speech about the foolhardiness of that approach, I drove down to Brookline in pursuit of an easy handwriting primer. In the first store I requested a cursive book for adults. The modestly attired salesperson said, “For you?” I answered honestly and was shown a rather adult looking quick guide to knowing and learning the cursive letters. Knowing my need of something a bit more structured and paced for language challenged learners I left without purchasing anything.

It seemed imperative to change tactics before heading into the only remaining store selling Hebrew books. “Do you,” I asked, “have a primer for children to help them learn their cursive letters, something with lots of repetition.”

I don’t know whether the saleswoman saw through my ploy. She selected a colorful looking soft covered comic book sized book, “My children used this book in the early grades and they loved the certificate they earned when they completed the book.”

It didn’t take me long to recognize an appropriate text.

“Would you like some stickers that say Mazel Tov? I rewarded my children whenever they learned three new letters.”

“Not yet,” I said.











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home